New Western Electric Project

To the baffle size comments above, I think I would extend the baffle to the ceiling, once I decided where I wanted it. With the lower ceiling of a basement, it's certainly fairly easy. You could simply cut a hole big enough for the 26a to pass through. This would likely lower that response a good bit.

It would also give you a spot to hang cool rock posters..... :D
 
I still need to build the side and upper baffle extensions so complete the setup. The soun is good but there is some distortion in the lower end of the mid driver. I traced it to the crossover I was using. The crossover was from a total different build and was not optimized for the drivers even though it had the right crossover points. I'm in the process of winding my own inductors for the new crossover which is a 12db Butterworth just like WE speced for the system.

I used the available drawings of the 7396 that are on the internet. If you scale the pictures you will get all the info you need to build them. If you overlay a WE blueprint drawing over a picture of there products they match perfectly. I also used many saved pictures of the baffle that I found on the web for reference.
 
Some more updates. I built a new crossover. Its a 2nd order Butterworth. The original WE is a 2nd order Butterworth. I wound my own 4.5mh air core chokes using 18ga magnet wire and used PIO PCB oil caps. 35uf in total (10,10,15uf). Crossover is 400hz.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6086.JPG
    IMG_6086.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6099.JPG
    IMG_6099.JPG
    813.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6101.JPG
    IMG_6101.JPG
    739.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6102.JPG
    IMG_6102.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6104.JPG
    IMG_6104.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6105.JPG
    IMG_6105.JPG
    501.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6112.JPG
    IMG_6112.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 61186766695__58EA0618-4A8A-4181-AB08-1A04543C486F.JPG
    61186766695__58EA0618-4A8A-4181-AB08-1A04543C486F.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 55
A fellow Forum Member has helped me with a new throat. The 22a adapters I have are for WE 594a's and the bolt pattern is smaller. So I wasn't able to use a modern 2" driver. But now I can use modern 2" drivers tanks to Tsingtao_1903.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6040.JPG
    IMG_6040.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6066.JPG
    IMG_6066.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6067.JPG
    IMG_6067.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6068.JPG
    IMG_6068.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6069.JPG
    IMG_6069.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6071.JPG
    IMG_6071.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6113.JPG
    IMG_6113.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6070.JPG
    IMG_6070.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 48
Some more updates. I built a new crossover. Its a 2nd order Butterworth. The original WE is a 2nd order Butterworth. I wound my own 4.5mh air core chokes using 18ga magnet wire and used PIO PCB oil caps. 35uf in total (10,10,15uf). Crossover is 400hz.

I've been planning on winding my own coils for my horn system as well, but haven't figured out a good way to count the turns as I go. Short of buying one of those manual turning machines with counter built in.

Mind if I ask how you did it?

Excellent progress, how's it sounding so far?
 
I used one of those cheap Chinese manual winders on eBay and a air core calculator on that diyaudiovideo site for the exact amount of turns. Which that calculator was off a few turns. I created the bobbin out of 1/2"ply and a 1-3/8" wood dowel from Lowes.

The sound has gotten a lot better with this New Crossover as the old crossover was something I had laying around that kinda of fit. I still need to install a attenuator transformer for the mids and a L-pad for the tweeter.
 
I used one of those cheap Chinese manual winders on eBay and a air core calculator on that diyaudiovideo site for the exact amount of turns. Which that calculator was off a few turns. I created the bobbin out of 1/2"ply and a 1-3/8" wood dowel from Lowes.

The sound has gotten a lot better with this New Crossover as the old crossover was something I had laying around that kinda of fit. I still need to install a attenuator transformer for the mids and a L-pad for the tweeter.

That was my basic plan as well, now to stock up on magnet wire!

The Atlas Sound AT-100* in wall attenuators work surprisingly well, not nearly as refined as my mast_mutter autoformer, but great for prototyping and using until one saves the cash for an autoformer, or one of Dave's speakerformers. They can be had on ebay nice and cheap too!
 
I've been busy lately with my Real job that pays the bills so progress has been slow on the project. I did get the baffle wings made. They aren't exact to WE specs. I had a space requirement to adhere too. Overall length is 112" the original WE is 132". hopefully soon I will have the top baffle extensions done and finally make support brackets for the horn to sit and pivot on. The bass did improve and is starting to sound better and better.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_4011.JPG
    DSC_4011.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_4012.JPG
    DSC_4012.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_4013.JPG
    DSC_4013.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Top