Room Acoustic Treatment - Next Steps

MikeT.

Senior Member
Having pretty much sorted out my components and cabling, it was definitely time to do more for my room. As I have been listening to more classical lately, I was noticing some “smearing“ of midrange and high end. A slight loss of detail I knew was there. After a lot of research I decided to build a couple of diffusers for the room, Skyline diffusers seemed to me to be a fairly simple solution. A miter saw, circular saw and lots of cutting and gluing and I have two diffusers built and temporarily hung. Painting them is next on the agenda but for now I’ll listen for a bit.

First impressions are very positive! Going back to two of the classical records detail, timbre and imaging have all improved and by a good margin. Posted a few pics and will do more later. Maybe a third panel in the works? Probably.

99ED388F-8534-4BEA-A733-9E6092A171B9.jpegF50E77F7-A118-4890-AC32-1BECD113E8EF.jpegB60422B8-5EF4-436E-95D1-BF15DDE4E344.jpeg1E2230E1-341D-407D-87B4-3DB9C4108CAD.jpeg3CEB6755-B71D-464E-A7DC-757413F7438B.jpeg9F519C0B-DFBB-4AEA-A98F-29A47854DA0F.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 7EA325CD-BA3D-4995-BCAE-4438562E3B3D.jpeg
    7EA325CD-BA3D-4995-BCAE-4438562E3B3D.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 5

Audionut

Next Round Is On Me
Function and form, nice!!! I may have to build a couple (kinda artsy too).
I hope to be at this last leg of my listening room to soon.
 

MrEd

Senior Nobody
Very smart.
Makes me realiseI tossed a bunch material I could of used for a diffuser while building my WE TA 7331's. I need think about this during the few weeks as get working on it again.
 

MikeT.

Senior Member
I used 2x2’s for the extrusions and half inch plywood for the backing. All in, about $25 per panel material costs. Glued ends directly to the backing and let cure for 24 hours. Sanding the ends of the wood blocks, just to remove splinters, wasn’t too bad. Kind of Zen, clears the mind. Add spray paint for another $10, and assuming I build one more, puts the total cost under $100. Similar panels purchased on line will run $200-$400 EACH. I can see why. Fairly labor and time intensive
 
Having pretty much sorted out my components and cabling, it was definitely time to do more for my room. As I have been listening to more classical lately, I was noticing some “smearing“ of midrange and high end. A slight loss of detail I knew was there. After a lot of research I decided to build a couple of diffusers for the room, Skyline diffusers seemed to me to be a fairly simple solution. A miter saw, circular saw and lots of cutting and gluing and I have two diffusers built and temporarily hung. Painting them is next on the agenda but for now I’ll listen for a bit.

First impressions are very positive! Going back to two of the classical records detail, timbre and imaging have all improved and by a good margin. Posted a few pics and will do more later. Maybe a third panel in the works? Probably.

View attachment 36139View attachment 36140View attachment 36141View attachment 36142View attachment 36143View attachment 36144
That is way cool. ;)
 

MikeT.

Senior Member
Humm, I have some foam-core board scraps, I wonder if they would work?

Did you mount this on the wall the speakers are aimed towards?
@Olson_jr , yep, I mounted them just behind my listening chair, though recommendations aren’t really clear one way or another. My listening area is approximately 15’ x 14’. I will likely build another to go in between the two. That would make a complete “panel” of @ 55-60 inches.
I’ve read about a project made from cut foam, but mostly wood is the recommended material.
 
Very professional! Did you use one of the online programs for determining the length and location of each piece?

Diffusors were on my list of 2021 projects and I haven’t done diddly. I need to get motivated!
 

MikeT.

Senior Member
The third panel is in place as close as I could get them to create the illusion of one panel. And it DOES make a difference. I had them up with about four inches between them and having them abutted makes a significant positive difference. Image left to right and soundstage depth is improved, not that it was bad to begin with.
Details in snare, percussion and cymbals improved. Guitar string resonance is noticeably improved. Vocals from harmonies on several albums show improved imaging.

Maybe paint, maybe not. I’ll listen for now. Apologies for the poor lighting.

I had put them up with D-rings and wire initially but now they’re hung with five inch French Cleats. It’s a good thing too, one of the wires to the D-ring was pulling away from itself. A twenty pound diffuser could hurt ones noggin....badly. D7F80137-63D4-4E1B-9030-C9B227444F84.jpeg97239855-2115-4D2F-937A-D2D224A07CC6.jpeg
 

MikeT.

Senior Member
Very nice, Mike!

Now, about that hard reflective surface right behind your head....
Hi Michael, very good point! I’ve been noodling that problem but I just need to try a few things. I bought some lumber for frames and am thinking a few smallish panels might help. Need some Roxul and some cool looking fabric, maybe from ATS.
 
Top