Staycation....

My wife and I tend to host Thanksgiving at our host every year. This year is no different, though smaller than previous years. Our anniversary is Sunday, and we told our family and friends we were going out of town as usual.

We aren't going anywhere, we took off a few days next week as well. My wife travels a good bit for work, so she wanted some time at home with few responsibilities, no schedule, just free time. Being a bit of a homebody I happily obliged.

Naturally I also setup a few projects I've been wanting to work on for some time now, so I would have plenty to do to better enable her to do whatever the heck she wants.

It's like a dream, I swear.

First one up is a two-chassis 1626 powered 'Darling' build. I've built the PCB version with a DIYTube.com board, and the 'Chubby Clementine' 6L6 version and enjoyed them both. I wanted to extract a bit more of the magic from the 1626, so I decided to build a tube rectified, two chassis version, using moderately upgraded components.

Iron:
Tamura power transformer (300-0-300 @110mA), and two 5k:8 SE output transformers, salvaged from a early 60's Sony TC-500a. I've also got the mint Coral holey basket FE-103's from that unit in a pair of bookshelf speakers in my office.

Filament supply is the standard voltage doubler circuit from the, I think, original version.

B+ supply is a pretty standard CRCRC supply, with a 30uF 800VDC Panasonic EZP-E polypropylene cap, followed by two stages of Vishay 'non' inductive 47r and 147uF (100+47) F+T electrolytics, each bypassed with a Wima FKP1 0.047uF 1250VDC cap.

The input and output circuit is pretty much the ~original one. I used Takman REY 1w for most of the resistors, a few Mills in there. Clarirty cap bypasses, nichicon muse and hz's, a pair of cardas RCA's, and some nice CMC binding posts I got on a whim when I ordered the F&T's from Hifi Collective.

All the parts are on super high quality, ultra elite, special, admantium prototype chassis...

aka, cheap Ikea bamboo cutting boards.

This is a quick and dirty build to work out the circuit and tune the amp before I put them into 'finished' cases.

Some pics: then I'll post some updates over the next few days as I crank the tunes in my office lab and attempt to put this thing together.

Power supply 'chassis':

IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0728.jpg IMG_0729.jpg IMG_0727.jpg


Amp chassis:

IMG_0732.jpg IMG_0731.jpg


Cheers, and Happy Holidays to everyone:
Gable
 

Audionut

Next Round Is On Me
Happy anniversary and very swanky breadboard!:D Build surrounds with the same material and a plexiglass top; presto! That’s what I’m likely doing for my crossovers.
 
Last edited:
Happy anniversary and very swanky breadboard!:D Build surrounds with the same material and a plexiglass too; presto! That’s what I’m likely doing for my crossovers.

Good idea, I have some Delrin and HDPE pieces I may use. Both are so easy to machine, and if you sand them on an orbital with ~400-600 grit, it makes a great matte finish.
 
Top